It’s National Novel Writing Month again! I have something in progress, but I don’t think it’s going to be as good as Violet turned out.
A couple weeks ago I finished typing what’s written of #140, intending to continue working on it on the computer (or my phone, since I can write on my phone now!), but somehow I’ve ended up working on the revision of, ahem, #1 that I started four years ago… about when I did the first revision of the site into this layout. For some reason working on the site intesively for two or three days made me want to read through it again.
I’m in the middle of Chapter 8; I’m not sure if I’ll start working on revising the three that follow afterwards, or if I’ll work on the one before it. If I do the subsequent parts first, I’ll probably have to go back to them after doing the previous one, to fix any continuity I break. I suppose that’s not the end of the world. The three subsequent parts are fully written, so it’s just a matter of reading through them again and then rewriting them. The revision of The Ringbearer has already, well, broken continuity for those in several ways.
Okay, the site migration is complete, I think. Instead of PHP, I’ve ended up with SHTML. Pretty much an identical process; the menu include scripts are just a different syntax. If you find any links that don’t work or pages displaying funkily, just shoot me an email.
While I was going through all the pages’ code, I found stuff I want to point out: #160: Violet (soon to have an easier reading option); #125: Murena (preview); #106: Avatars; #140: Veronica (preview; what I’ve been working on most recently); and Orange.
And now I’m going to sleep.
I’ve started converting the site to PHP to get away from the frameset. It took me about an hour to figure out the positioning in CSS, but you can see the test for the main page. The links probably doing point to the right paths right now. I just have to go through and add some style codes to the rest of the existing pages, and the menu includes, but it’ll finally move me away from frames.
I, ahem, updated the webcomic. Clicky.
It’s only been 4 years.
Did a bit of updating, mostly relating to getting the NaNoWriMo story up and whatnot. Updated the list, as well. I suppose at some point I could work up a WordPress theme and just shift the main page of the site to being the blog thing…
Added my del.icio.us tags to the bottom of the bookmarks page.
You’ve been checking out the blog, right? I do actually post on it. >.>
I’ve been debating either doing something new for NaNoWriMo (I’ve never tried it before), working more on the Veran stuff, or reworking the webcomic storyline just in text. Not sure what I’m going to go with yet. I pulled out #128 to work on a bit; I’ve been skipping around among a couple things restlessly recently.
Ok, so I added a blog to this site, too. I feel kind of guilty about this site’s lack of updates – it was a birthday present, and then after a while I realized that throwing everything out in the open on the web probably wasn’t a good idea (damn you, Google!), so I got my public site (kebrent.com), and this one got no-roboted. For the most part it doesn’t pop up in Google, so hopefully I can post all the miscellaneous opinionated stuff I think about without it showing up front and center and tied to me, in case of random Googling potential employer biases. Not that it seems like I really need to worry about it – the vast majority of the hits on my name are for some woman who died in the 1600s (damn you, Ancestry.com). :P
Anyway, I’ve been good about using the other blog for stuff that I don’t care if anyone sees (tech exploration, WoW stuff, books, etc.), so hopefully I’ll be able to use this one similarly, but for more controversial topics. You know, like my waffling about candidates for the Democratic nomination. Stuff like that.
Started something off a dream from a couple days ago. Not sure if it’s going anywhere yet, but I think I spend way too much time thinking about stuff anymore without ever getting it on paper. (I have at least two fairly well-developed ideas that haven’t gotten out of my head yet.) So I’m trying to get stuff onto paper more again.
Updated the works list. I went and declared some stuff dead back in May. Also, that reworking of some characters from Xyryx that I started back in April is a little past 50 pages now, so I figured I should update the page numbers for things. I also realized when I was reading through some stuff in May that I had pretty much finished Scribe (#93) – it’s one of my favorites, though like always, that will probably change in five years. I still remember where I came up with the idea for it – going down the stairs in Draper hall when I was doing my work-study there my sophomore year. I love the stairs in Draper. Anywho, now I just need to type it.
I’ve been working on Rose a bit again – another one I really like.
So I installed WordPress’s blog software… the linky is in the menu at the left. (You know, the one that says blog.) I mostly wanted to play around with the software. I’ll probably completely take the forums down at some point, since I think the blog software may be more what I’m looking for. And this page can stay devoted to writing.
I broke down and started the story based loosely on some personalities from the American Revolution finally. When I say loosely, really loosely. Maybe “inspired by” is closer. Anywho, I probably should have waited a bit yet, since I have comps in less than two weeks, but I’ve been kicking the idea around for a year, so I guess it doesn’t hurt to get it started finally.